ATEG Archives

December 2000

From:
Pam Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 20:17:40 -0600
Martha,
Thanks for the absolute summary.  I have a question about what I think is an
absolute.  This semester, many of my students are writing sentences that begin
with "The idea being that...”  I don’t remember seeing so many of these errors in
the past, and while listening to the news the other day, the light went on.  The
anchors on CNN news say, "The idea being that....”  My guess is that my students
hear this as a sentence and the anchors are saying it as an absolute.  What do you
think?   Thanks – Pam Dykstra