ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:23:08 -0700
Derek Bickerton in _Language and Human Behavior_ argues that all cognition is nothing other than grammar.  He suggests that even the structure of picture thinking may have similar though less rigorous organizations to grammar.

His point impresses me in that it certainly would be impossible to have any cognition without grammar and there is no reason to think that there was some other process to grammar that preceded grammar.  That is, why unnecessarilly proliferate your explanations.  If grammar is sufficeint, then looking for a grammar like origin of grammar is superfluous.   The search for UG would be as deep as anyone would need or could go.

Phil Bralich