ATEG Archives

June 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jun 2009 11:12:52 -0400
Brian,
   I have developed a couple of assignments in part because of the same
concern. One is a "belief or value" paper, which asks the student to
explain a belief or value (lots of conversation to set that up) and
explore its experiential roots. In that assignment, they are not
allowed to argue. I sometimes do that as an opening to a three step
sequence, the second being an exploration of why someone else would
think differently and the third being a persuasive version of the
opening paper. But students often find the belief or value version very
valuable in its own right.
   Another assignment I term "a present time look at past experience." The
focus is generally around the changing perspective of the writer. As
he/she looks back, there are often two "I"'s involved, the "I" who went
through it and the "I" who now understands it in a more substantial
way. For a frequently anthologized esaay that fits that form, I
sometimes use Paule Marshall's "Poets in the Kitchen", where she looks
back at the experience of listening to the language of her mom and
mom's friends and their influence on her as a writer. I think she is
very much aware that she is not giving the usual answer to questions
about influence, but she is very careful to present this as her own
evolving perspective, even saying things like "I had no way of
understanding it at the time but..."
   I think the best writers have a way of sharing insight and perspective
without seeming argumentative about it. We need some way of valuing
that perspective, the presence of the perspective, even controlling
presence, without thinking of it as an argument. So if that's a thesis,
perhaps non-argumentative thesis would be a subcategory. If the writer
makes us laugh at how stupid he was, then we may simply be remembering
or reinforcing something we know full well already.
   We also find ourselves, I think, writing about subjects that we want to
say more than one thing about. Journalists do that all the time with
"feature stories". Maybe that's what's meant by "exposition." The
article may include a number of perspectives, including perspectives
other than the writer's, without necessarily being invested in any one
of them.
   I like your instincts. Abandoning a "thesis" (as argument) doesn't mean
you don't have a purpose.

Craig

Do you think that the insistence that every paper should have a thesis,