ATEG Archives

November 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 11:35:26 -0500
Cynthia,
   What you are reporting are the commendable practices of a dedicated and
caring teacher. Unfortunately, these are the kinds of "studies' that
have routinely been discarded in the major research studies
(meta-analysis of research)that have been used to say that grammar
doesn't work (hasn't been "proven" to work.)
   The Graham and Perin study (Carnegie report, 2007), heavily cited in
NCTE's recent reaffirmation of its position on grammar, follows this
practice. "Only studies employing an experimental or quasi-experimental
design were included....Each study in the meta-analysis compared at
least two groups of students who received different instructional
conditions. Correlational, qualitative, or single-subject design
studies and studies in which students served as their own comparison
group were not included"(36). They don't say these other approaches are
not valuable; just that they don't fit the criteria for meta-analysis.

   What that means, for example, is that students receiving grammar
instruction can be compared to students getting direct instruction in
writing on the basis of how well they do on a holistically assessed
writing sample, and this can be used to demonstrate that grammar drills
don't help writing. (What will show up in statistical terms is a
"negative effect" for the grammar instruction.) "Writing quality" is
the measured outcome.
   For Graham and Perin, they report using holistic scores and not
analytical scales whenever possible, but when they do use analytical
scales, mechanics is removed as a category (40). They don't explain the
basis for that decision.
   Though Graham and Perin are very careful not to make claims about the
definitive nature of their conclusions, NCTE seems quick to do just
that.
   It would be nice to measure how knowledge about language helps adults
make their way in their complex worlds. If we can understand the value
of this knowledge, then perhaps we can then ask about the best ways to
teach or acquire it.
   One reason why this is complicated is that language is used
unconsciously by most people most of the time. People seem to focus
more on "acquiring" the language than on understanding it, and they
tend to distort the issue by failing to distinguish between these
objectives. Traditional school grammar tries to get people to behave
"properly". As a result, it will always tend to have a negative
carryover when someone is trying to use language meaningfully. It is,
in the minds of the progressive educators, a distraction from the real
work of writing, which is the production of meaning. It's
simultaneously necessary and unimportant, at least in their eyes. So
the attempt is to relegate it to as small a role as possible.
   Meanwhile, most of us go from day to day on the basis of what seems to
help our students the most. In my case, I get students ready to do well
in a highly competitive college. I teach in a fish bowl. If I didn't
measure the results, someone else would do it for me.

   Craig

 Dear Craig and all: