ATEG Archives

July 1995

From:
EDWARD VAVRA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 17:27:06 -0400
Because several subscribers to this list
requested more information about the
conference proceedings of the Assembly for
the Teaching of English Grammar (ATEG), I
said that I would try to post the contents of
each of the currently available 4 volumes.
That information follows. The proceedings are
$7.50 each, or all 4 for $25 (including postage
and handling). Make checks payable to ATEG
and send to Ed Vavra, DIF112, Pennsylvania
College of Technology, One College Drive,
Williamsport, PA 17701.

I am continuing to look into the possibility of
making the proceedings available
electronically and for free, but I believe that
that will require getting written permission
from each of the contributors (which would
take some time, and may be impossible in
some cases).

The proceedings of the Fifth Conference, held
last year at Illinois State, will be late. Irene
Brosnahan had received permission from the
participants to try to publish them in a book.
Irene has informed me that she could not find
an interested publisher, and she will be
forwarding the papers to me so that I can
compile them into the Fifth Conference
Proceedings.

As Irene's attempt indicates, interesting
main-line publishers in material about
grammar is still very difficult. I hope to make
ATEG a clearing-house for self-puiblished
materials, and, since I receive no money for
the work I do for ATEG, I hope you will forgive
me for adding the contents of my own
Teaching Grammar as a Liberating Art (which
has just become available for sale) to the end
of this list.

Contents of the Proceedings of the First Four
ATEG conferences:

Contents of the Proceedings of the First ATEG
conference, held at Shenandoah College,
Winchester, VA, August 10 & 11, 1990

Keynote: The Future of Grammar in American
Schools
        Martha Kolln, Penn State University.

Approaches to Gramnrar: Teaching &
Otherwise
        Kathy Lyday-Lee, Elon College, N.C.

What Kind of Granzmar Should We Teach in
College?
        Cornelia Paraskevas-Shepard, Western
Oregon State University.

A Review of Grammar Textbooks
        Robert Sirabian, Purdue University

Personal Editing Workbooks for Composition
Students
        Sally Joranko, John Carroll University,
Ohio

Seeing as the Brain Sees: The Cognitive
Process of Instructibn (CPOI) Applied to
Grammar
        Madlon Laster; Daniel Morgan Mlddle
School, Winchester, VA

Challenging Misconceptions about Using
One-to-One Tutorials to Teach Grammar/Style
        Kirn Balllard & Linda Haynes, Purdue
University

Grammar Competency as Essential
Knowledge for ESL Students Entering
Professional Discourse Communities
        Linda Yost, Purdue University

.Blue-Jay Grammar
        Jean Murphy, Pierce College, Puyallup,
WA

Arguments about Grammar: the Usage Books
        Maurice Scharton & Janice lNeuleib,
Illinois Sate University

Integrating Grammar into the Process Reading
& Writing Approach
        Chrystena Chrzanowski, North Arlington
H.S. & William Paterson College

The Role of Grammar Teaching in Higher
Education
        George J. Oliver, University of Maryland

Arcade Grammar: Grammar & Syntax as a
Recreational Activity
        Pat Wellington & Charotte Perlin,
University of Miami

Teaching Grammar through Journalism
        Tina Lesher, Wiiliam Patterson College

Quintilian, Syntax & Computer-Aided
Instruction
        R C. Hoover, Washington State University

The Effects of Personality Type on Grammar
Instruction
        Irene Brosnahan &Janice Neuleib, Illinois
State University
.
Communicative Approaches to Teaching
Gramrmar
        Macey B. Taylor, University of Arizona

Teaching Grammar without the Grammar
Books
        Ed Vavra, Pennsylvania College of
Technology

Contents of the Proceedings of the Second
ATEG conference, held at Pennsylvania
College of Technology, July 15 & 16, 1991

Keynote: Finding Reasons to Teach Grammar
to Everyone
        Bill McCleary, editor, Composition
Chronicle

Jessica's "Power Phrase": Using Sentence
Combining to Teach Note Taking
        Chrystena Chrzanowski, William
Paterson College

Grammar in the Freshman Composition Class
        Ben Varner, University of Northern
Colorado

Teaching Young Writers to Analyze Their
Sentences
        Ed Vavra, Pennsylvania College of
Technology

The Parts Are the Key to the Whole
        George Kovacs, Briarcliffe College

Good at Grammar
        Maurice Sharton, Illinois State University

Grammar in the Learning Center?
        Janice Neuleib, Illinois State University

The Effect that Separation of Content and
Form Has on Grammar and Syntax Review in
Business Writing Textbooks
        May Hall, University of Pittsburgh

Teaching Grammar in Business
Communications
        Geneva Hagedorn, University of
Houston-Downtown

A Systematically Based Approach to
Grammatical Analysis
        John P. Broderick, Old Dominion
University

Three-Dimensional Diagramming
        Wanda Van Goor, Prince George's
Community College

Approaches to Teaching Teachers Grammar
        Irene Brosnahan, Illinois State University

Grammar Relevance: Human/Computer
Interface as a Relevancy Model
        Frank Peters, Bloomsburg University

Using Transformational Grammar to Teach
Future Teachers
        Cornelia Paraskevas, Western Oregon
State University

Contents of the Proceedings of the Third
ATEG conference, held at Pennsylvania
College of Technology, Williamsport, PA on
June 18 & 19, 1992

Grammar as a Method, Not as a Subject
        Marilyn N. Silva

Using Humor to Teach Grammar
        Frank Peters

Grammatical Competence and the Teaching of
Grammar
        Jim Kenkel & Robert Yates

About Computational Tools in the Teaching of
Grammar and Writing
        Reinhold Schlieper

The Crime
        Ed Vavra

Writing Skills vs. Writing Skill: An Ambiguity
Feeding the Arguments about Assessing
        Mary Hall

Grammar Portfolios
        Cornelia Paraskevas

Visualizing the Language
        Bernice Lever-Farrar

Contents of the Proceedings of the Fourth
ATEG conference, held at Pennsylvania
College of Technology, Williamsport, PA. June
25 & 26, 1993

Linguistics and English Language Teaching:
Another Attempt
        James Kenkel and Robert Yates

College Students' Attitudes on Grammar - A
Survey
        Cornelia Paraskevas

A Middle Level Language Arts/Grammar Unit
        Alyce Hunter

Editing: The Key to Teaching Grammar
        Tina Lesher

Form-Function Parsing: Exploring the
Structure of a Sentence without Diagramming
It
        Wanda Van Goor & Bill Mullinix

Empowering the Student with a Grammatical
Vocabulary
        Ellin Ronce Pollachek

It's Elementary, My Dear Students (or is it?):
Selected Teachers' Perceptions on Grammar's
Role in the Elementary School
        Melissa Whiting

The Realities of Seventh and Eighth Grade
Grammar Instruction
        Mary Beth Voda

Students' Rights to Their Own Language
Revisited: An Attitude Survey
        Terry Lenn Irons

Grammar in the Middle: Teaching Junior High
and Middle School
        Janice Neuleib

The Role of Pedagogical Grammar in English
as a Second Language Instruction
        John P. Milon

Unplugging Drill and Practice: Alternatives for
Teaching Style, Fluency, and Grammar
        Neal Lerner

Table of Contents from
Teaching Grammar as a Liberating Art, by Ed
Vavra
(11 x 8.5, 152 pages, GBC bound)
available from Rose Parisella Productions, 30
Marvin Circle, Williamsport, PA
17701 ($15, + $3 for shipping, payable to Rose
Parisella Productions)

Introduction: The Buzz and the Book

Part One: Background and Theory
Chapter 1: A History of Pedagogical
Grammars
Chapter 2: Traditional Grammar from a Modern
Perspective
Chapter 3: What Should We Teach? and A
Theory of Teaching
Chapter 4: A Theory of Natural Syntactic
Development
Chapter 5: The Sequence of Syntactic
Development

Part Two: A Pedagogical Syntax
Chapter 6: A Theory of Syntax
Chapter 7: Syntax in the Curriculum -
Following the Natural Development of
Syntactic Structures
Chapter 8: Syntactic Errors and Syntactic
Expectations

Part Three: Beyond the Teaching of Syntax
Chapter 9: Reading, Psycholinguistics, and
Readability
Chapter 10: Writing, Style, and Freedom
Chapter 11: Syntax, Thinking, and Logic

Part Four: Research