ATEG Archives

March 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Mar 2011 22:51:37 -0500
Martha,

I've used both RK diagrams and trees in my classes, depending on what I'm covering, and I did the same thing with a diagonal for complements as you describe below.  I recall beginning that practice in the '80s, and I'm sure I was influenced by you.  Now at least I can properly credit you with that innovation!

On the number and variety of basic sentence patterns, I find different grammars suggesting different numbers and different patterns.  IIRC, Quirk et al. used five, using the terms S, V, O, and C.  I've used seven in my classes:  linking/BE, intransitive, transitive, ditransitive, intransitive locative, transitive locative, and complex transitive.  I suspect there's an article somewhere in the question of what to consider a basic sentence pattern and why.

Herb