ATEG Archives

June 2001

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 08:38:05 -0500
I've been following this exchange with interest.  I have trouble thinking
of "my decision" and "to leave my job" as appositives.  I thought that the
elements in appositives denoted identical entities, as in "my teacher,
Professor Jones."  In contrast to this, "my decision" denotes a mental
activity, whereas "to leave my job" is its implementation.  They aren't
really the same thing.  For example, you could say that your decision to
leave your job was a secret, but it would not make sense to say that to
leave your job was a secret.

In Latin, you have "complementary infinitives" used to complete the
meaning of certain verbs that don't normally stand alone, e.g., solet
cantare, "he is accustomed to sing."  In my view, "my decision to leave"
is rather similar to that and is obviously related to "I decided to
leave."  In the latter, to leave is adverbial.  Hence I
would vote for its being unambiguously adjectival in the phrase, "my
decision to leave."