ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:42:51 -0600
There is and has been a consistent anti-American propaganda
campaign going on in academia for forty years.  Taken on the
gigantic level of the media and academia industries, it amounts to
a campaign-scale attack on the US.  It has most likely contributed
to setting an intellectual climate in which anti-American terrorism is
nourished.

The anti-American rhetoric on university campuses is far, far
beyond simple criticism and debate over various positions taken by
the US government.  It is simply contemptuous, constant slander
which may serve to nourish anti-American terrorism.

Therefore, it does not matter to me if certain political perspectives
would be offended with my first posting.  I posted it because I
meant what I was saying:

there is and has been anti-American rhetoric on university
campuses, almost on the scale of a propaganda campaign; it has
been going on for forty years, and it has fostered a climate which is
nourishing to anti-American terrorism.

In light of such a serious idea in my original posting, it is odd that
the argument has now shifted to the rules of academic posting.

May I politely suggest that if you had found fault with my content
we would not now be discussing Civility in Public Discourse.

Now you are arguing the general right that I have to speak on
certain topics and in certain tones of voice.  Now the topic is
Civility in Public Discourse when what it started with was leftist-
Stalinist propaganda in academia.

Let's reverse the perspective:  to my knowledge individuals in
academia have never before gone out of their way to show Civility to
more right-of-center feelings.

You hear contemptuous remarks intertwined with academic
discourse _all the time,_ even when they are irrelevant to the
nature of the topic. Academics are _constantly_ insulting the right-
of -center perspective.  It's a running joke with them.  Even little pro-
Clinton grammar examples have been posted here, just to strike an
aggravating note.

I do not agree that civility in academic discourse is the prime value.

I do not forefit the right to speak disrespectfully.  I do not care
about people's feelings.

Civility means nothing whatsoever to me in comparison to the
attack on the WTC and the feelings and concerns which I have to
express upon it.
Sincerely, Robert Einarsson
please visit me at
http://www.artsci.gmcc.ab.ca/people/einarssonb