ATEG Archives

October 2000

From:
scaramouche2001 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Oct 2000 18:23:06 -0600
Henry Louis Mencken Quotes

----
Imagine the Creator as a low comedian, and at once the world becomes
explicable.
----
Creator: a comedian whose audience is afraid to laugh.
----
Demagogue: one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he knows
to be idiots.
----
Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.
----
There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that is
the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.
----
All zoos actually offer the public, in return for the taxes spent upon them,
is a form of idle witless amusment, compared to which a visit to the state
penitentiary, or even a state legislature in session, is informing,
stimulating and enobling.
----
Conscience is the inner voice that warns us somebody is looking.
----
A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.
----
The most common of all follies is to believe passionately in the palpably
not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind.
----
Don't overestimate the decency of the human race.
----
There's no underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
----
War will never cease until babies begin to come into the world with larger
cerebrums and smaller adrenal glands.
----
To wage a war for a purely moral reason is as absurd as to ravish a woman
for a purely moral reason.
----
We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to
the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his
children smart.
----
The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas is
always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic.
----
People constantly speak of "the government" doing this or that, as they
might speak of God doing it. But the government is really nothing but a
group of men, and usually they are very inferior men. They may have some
better man working for them, but they themselves are seldom worthy of any
respect.
----
All government, in its essence, is organized exploitation, and in virtually
all of its existing forms it is the implacable enemy of every industrious
and well-disposed man.
----
For every problem, there is one solution which is simple, neat and wrong.
----
Every failure teaches a man something, to wit, that he will probably fail
again.
----
On one issue at least, men and women agree; they both distrust women.
----
Women have simple tastes. They can get pleasure out of the conversation of
children in arms and men in love.
----
To be in love is merely to be in a state of perpetual anesthesia - to
mistake an ordinary young woman for a goddess.
----
No matter how happily a woman may be married, it always pleases her to
discover that there is a nice man who wishes that she were not.
----
God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the
miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of
superiority, soothing to their macerated egos; He will set the above their
betters.
----
The true function of art is to...edit nature and so make it coherent and
lovely. The artist is a sort of impassioned proofreader, blue-penciling the
bad spelling of God.
----
For men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe,
but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
----
The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his
hand and it's good-by to the Bill of Rights.
----
Unquestionably, there is progress. The average American now pays out twice
as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages.
----
No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.
----
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and
deserve to get it good and hard.
----
Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey cage.
----
Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to
prove that the other party is unfit to rule--and both commonly succeed, and
are right.
----
The idea that the sole aim of punishment is to prevent crime is obviously
grounded upon the theory that crime can be prevented, which is almost as
dubious as the notion that poverty can be prevented.
----
Say what you will about the ten commandments; you must always come back to
the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.
----
It is only doubt that creates. It is only the minority that counts.
----
The New Deal began, like the Salvation Army, by promising to save humanity.
It ended, again like the Salvation Army, by running flop-houses and
disturbing the peace.
----
All I ask is equal freedom. When it is denied, as it always is, I take it
anyhow.
----
The older I grow, the more I distrust the familiar doctrine that age brings
wisdom.
----
The world always makes the assumption that the exposure of an error is
identical with the discovery of truth--that the error and truth are simply
opposite. They are nothing of the sort. What the world turns to, when it is
cured on one error, is usually simply another error, and maybe one worse
than the first one.
----
No one ever heard of the truth being enforced by law. Whenever the secular
arm is called in to sustain an idea, whether new or old, it is always a bad
idea, and not infrequently it is downright idiotic.
----
Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all other
philosophers are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he
also usually proves that he is one himself.
----
School-days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human
existence. They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and unpleasant
ordinances, brutal violations of common sense amd common decency. It doesn't
take a reasonably bright boy long to discover that most of what is rammed
into him is nonsense, and that no one really cares very much whether he
learns it or not.
----
Back to main quotes
If you have quotation to add, please send it to [log in to unmask]

This page was last modified on Friday, July 28, 2000 5:51:29 AM