ATEG Archives

December 2004

From:
Christine Reintjes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:06:49 +0000
Dick,

I totally agree with your  response to Charrow. I am amazed that as a
linguist, she has such a simplistic view of this.

In addition to your points, I am thinking of how much more writing and
speaking we are exposed to in the media. Even if there were fewer
"grammatical mistakes" (non-standard forms) in  past published writing and
public speaking (which I question), think of how small the pool of
contributors was then compared to now. Also, the contributors were often
wealthier and with more formal education etc.
--

Christine Reintjes Martin