ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:42:05 -0500
    It's interesting that cognitive grammar (see Langacker, 2008) defines
a lexical item as a "fixed expression." So "moonless night" would fit,
though it has more than one word. Some expressions are more schematic,
since some elements are subject to change, others fixed, as in "poked
X in the eye" or "kicked X in the shin." Other expressions, like
"dollarless" (Langacker's example) are novel. So we have a way of
categoriziong words/expressions that highlights familiarity and
novelty. And we also have a way of undersgtanding how lexicon shades
into grammar in a somewhat fixed, but somewhat dynamic way.
   The theory also says (as I understand it) that language draws on the
same cognitive processes as the rest of human understanding. We come to
associate elements together, automatize repeated activities (like tying
our shoes), schematize from multiple experiences, categorize
("interpretation of experience with respect to already existing
structures"), and so on. We don't have to posit an independent system
of formal rules outside of this world apprehending activity. Nor should
we expect this process to lead us to a view of the world that is
disconnected from patterns of experience or impractical.
   We may be more universal in our subjectivity than we are in our
objectivity, and I think we get those categories confused. Birth and
death are like day and night because we are mortal and live in a world
that spins as it orbits a sun. Language emodies a human experience of
the world. Whether the world outside our understanding is identical to
the world inside it is an impossible question to answer.

Craig

    A formal/structural grammar, to the extent that it focuses on the
formal rules underlying the meanings, may be radically missing the
point.

Sapir probably put it at its most pithy:  All grammars leak.