ATEG Archives

March 1999

From:
Michael Kischner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:37:59 -0800
In my original inquiry, I used "complement" to designate all of the
verb-completers named in most traditional grammars, including direct
objects and indirect objects as well as complements with "complement" in
their names.  Surely direct objects and indirect objects do not "specify a
trait of some entity."  So, given that "complement" is widely used as an
umbrella term for different kinds of verb-completer, I am asking if
adverbs of time/place used with BE cannot also crowd under the embrella.