ATEG Archives

September 2000

From:
Connie Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 17:31:00 -0400
Me, too, Max.  I'd like to use your comments this Wednesday night as a
handout.  Like Jeff, I find that your comments on defining a sentence are
perfect for what I've been saying in class, and in addition they offer a
rationale for teaching some of the things we've started working on.

Some time ago,  I proposed that those ATEG members who were interested in such
a project post material that others of us could access via the web--material
that would clarify our stance on teaching grammar, so that our students could
have ready access to differing ideas.  Several of you responded positively, Ed
Vavra offered to post the materials on the ATEG website, and then the ball got
dropped.  I apologize for that.  Considering the difficulty I have with getting
Web pages mounted (nothing with the Web ever seems to work easily for me!), I
suggest that we put such materials on our own web pages and share the URLs with
the group, so we can in turn share them with our students.  How's that for a
plan--at least a temporary one, until the new ATEG Web site gets up and
running?  I've finally gotten my own materials accessible, after some major
problems.  The URL for this material is
http://unix.cc.wmich.edu/~cweaver/teacherfest-grammar.html.  Notice that
there's no "www" in this address.  I think it will work from off our campus, as
it works for me at home.  Let me know, though, if you try it and it doesn't
work.

Now, who else will give us ready access to your philosophy with regard to the
teaching of grammar?  I look forward to reading and sharing your materials.

Connie Weaver
Professor of English
Western Michigan University