ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 08:51:22 -0500
Bruce,
   I was thinking myself how little attention has been given to
intonation and punctuation. Sometimes I think linguists become
interested in something in inverse proportion to its usefulness, but
that may be a writing teacher's perspective.
    The reason why Christensen sets off free modifiers with commas is
because they are not bound up within the core sentence groups that they
modify. He is opposed to "loading the patterns", which gives a single
intonation group with a lot of modifiers embedded. He writes on a number
of occasions about "the eloquence of speech", in part because speech
tends to portion meaning out in right branching ways. It's interesting
to see him argue against a T-group analysis which includes these
structures as part of a core clause and not as independent. It has, as
he points out, a big influence on readability. Here's a response to
Hunt's argument for density inside the clause: "We should not in our
grammar and composition courses focus on tying syntactic knots that we
must add courses in reading to untie." ("The Problem of Defining a
Mature Style").
   Restrictive and nonrestrictive modification depends on intonation in
speech, and only punctuation can help us finesse those nuances in writing.
   "He dislikes politicians who put election ahead of the truth."  "He
dislikes politicians, who put election ahead of the truth." The first
narrows the category down and leaves hope that some politicians might
rise above it. The second condemns all politicians and then gives the
reason why. They would be intoned as a single group or as two groups if
we were speaking them.
   "Sentences can vary widely in the amount of information they contain
and in the way that information is organized." (I'm quoting myself
here.) A "free modifier" portions information out in its own intonation
group. Within the group, of course, you have places of tonal prominence
(a peak in the sound wave.) The default position is the end of the unit.
You can tie this in with given and new.
   Halliday has much to contribute in a number of places; publication of
his book on intonation keeps getting shuffled back, though I'm told it's
in final production stages.
   Intonation is a grammar system in speech. We need more attention to
how to harness it in writing, in how to carry it over.

Craig