ATEG Archives

May 2013

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 02:46:51 +0000
Steve,

I'm not a writing teacher or an editor, and so my take on this might be skewed a bit by my linguistics.  However, it's important to bear in mind that function and form are distinct.  Your terms "conjunctive adverb" and "coordinating conjunction" are frequently taken to name lists of words, and a lot of people seem to think that those lists can't overlap.  In fact, they are functions that words can carry out, and the same word can carry out more than one function.  So "claim" can be a noun or a verb.  Whether an editor, teacher, or writer wants to allow "so" as a conjunctive adverb and put a comma after it depends very much on audience, genre, level of formality (register), and personal taste.  My sense is that "so" can be a conjunctive adverb in less formal writing but not so well in the most formal registers.  But that's a personal judgment.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University