ATEG Archives

June 2013

From:
Gregg Heacock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jun 2013 12:56:08 -0400
Dear Fellow Members of ATEG,

My problems with being on the mailing list began when I wrote an article that appeared in the last ATEG Journal.  That's when I signed up officially and paid for three year's membership just to be sure to get the Journal sent to me.  That is also when my email from ATEG stopped.  Eventually I was able to deal with the problem though it occurred again this year and remained until I responded to a general email asking whether people wanted to be included in receiving ATEG emails.  Though I thought this had again become a problem, I am pleased to see that it is not.  However, this is not my reason for writing.  I see that some people did not get a chance to read that last issue of the ATEG Journal.  Though I liked my piece, I was prouder still to see it included with such excellent articles on grammar.  They were good enough to raise the question of whether this publication should be offered as a subscription option for the National Council of Teachers of English, NTCE.  I pose that question to you now.

Too long we have been the bastard child of the NTCE.  It seems time for us to call upon them to recognize the importance of grammar to teachers of English at all levels and to offer their members the option of selecting our journal as one their members might receive.

Naturally, we would need to see that we could rise to the occasion and deliver the ATEG Journal to all who request it.  But the task would give us reason to see that our own members receive it, too.  Truly, the whole journal was a revelation to me, and I think it would be one to many of those I taught with over the years.  I encourage you to give this the consideration it is due.

The people in this organization deserve to be welcomed into the family of NTCE affiliates and given parity with them.

I am curious to hear what others think about this,

Gregg Heacock