ATEG Archives

December 2001

From:
Gretchen Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 02:29:55 EST
In a message dated 12/5/2001 10:58:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:<< By "research," I have in
 mind primarily the work of Hunt, Loban, and O'Donnell. >>

Ed.

I've had numerous book stores looking for this book because you quote it so
often, and I respect you so much.

NO ONE can get it for me (all major book stores have been searching).  Do you
have any other resources for me?  I desperately need ideas for the ages that
kids start to recognize/use various structures.  My sixth grade students are
taking Latin from a new teacher who is using a high school Jenney's, and he
expects them to understand/recognise/translate these very complicated
grammatical (traditionally grammatical, mind you!) structures in sixth grade
- without instruction because "you've had them in English"!

I need to document my position.  I'm not sure what I should be teaching (see
"Gretchen's Annual Lament"!), but I'm darn sure that my kids shouldn't be
asked to do what they are being required to do in this class.  When they
don't, the teacher sighs heavily and blames me!

Gretchen in San Jose, wishing a certain Latin teacher were a member of this
list . . .