ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
Nancy Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Sep 2001 04:21:25 -0400
I've been on this list less than a year and am less part of this community
than I am on other e-mail discussion lists where I am "more present" either
because of my frequent posts or my long subscription.  But let me assure you
that every list I belong to is discussing the events of this week.  We live
in the world.  As academics we must always put our work within the context
of that world.  And though the dicussion of grammar and its role in the
classroom is not directly related to the attacks on Tuesday, to ignore the
need to discuss those attacks, to express both concern for the victims and
their families and for the state of the world in general is to ignore a very
human need.  Some of us need to ground our discussions in reflections on how
a world of humans could bring about the events on Tuesday.  Some of us need
to express our sorrow.  Can't there be room for a while for both such
expressions?

In good time the discussions will all go back to their designated topics.
But for the time being, for as long as it takes, don't close off the
discussions, the reflections, the speculations on how the world spawned such
actions.  I received a post today from another list that came indirectly
from Shelley Harwayne, superintendent of Manhattan school district #2.  She
told about children entering one of the schools in her district--only a
couple blocks away from the WTC--telling a teacher that birds were burning
in the sky.  What the child saw, of course, were burning bodies of people
leaping from one of the towers.

Who of us can keep our minds on academic discussions when children see such
things.  The academy will have its day again soon enough.

Nancy G. Patterson, PhD
English Department Chair
Portland Middle School, Portland, MI

"To educate as the practice of freedom is a way of teaching that anyone can
learn."

--bell hooks

http://www.msu.edu/user/patter90/opening.htm
http://www.npatterson.net