ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Jane Saral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:13:19 -0500
I'm from Baltimore, and I say merry, Mary, hairy, fairy, terry.  But I
say marry, Harry, and tarry (as in lag, not blackened with tar).
Jane Saral
another mere high school teacher
The Westminster Schools
Atlanta

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/18/06 16:34 PM >>>
Paul E. Doniger writes: " it's hard to hear the difference among the
words, merry, marry, and Mary (the all sound like merry). I'm from the
midwest and they have always sounded alike, the meaning being made clear
in context. Lippi-Green also made the same reference, but I'm
curious--how are they "supposed" to sound? Or, perhaps it's better to
ask
how other parts of the country pronounce them. Bethlurking student and
future English teacher

interface at: