ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
helene hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:15:01 +0000
I take "formatting" errors to mean errors in MLA style typing (all
double-spaced, one-inch margins, etc.). Most high school teachers do not
teach this--heck, most high school (even ENGLISH) teachers do not know that
"essay" means more than one paragraph! They don't know that names DON'T go
on the top right of the paper, etc. I am assuming that this is why they have
to teach this in education courses.

When I was teaching college comp, I simply made up a list of instructions
("Operations," I called them) for keying papers in Word in MLA style. It was
a simple matter, then, to create a rubric of errors, both formatting and
grammar/usage/style errors.

Helene Hoover