ATEG Archives

June 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jun 2011 08:25:07 -0400
Gregg,
    The spelling I am used to seeing is "deontic" and "epistemic" for any
of you who want to do more research.
    My Old English is very rusty and the books are in Albany, but "shall"
derived from a verb meaning something like "be obligated, owe." It
actually grammaticalized earlier than "will" (from "willan"? to want?
Someone can correct me on that one.) "Cunnan" meant "know". "Magan"
meant "have power". For a very good source on grammaticalization, I
would recommend Joan Bybee's "Language, Usage, and Cognition"
(Cambridge, 2010).
   These modals invert with the subject to form questions, take a negative
directly after, and don't have a third person inflection for present
tense. They have also lost their ability to act as the main verb in a
sentence.
    You raise a controversial issue that relates to our belief in whether
grammar is innately wired into the brain or is socially semiotic,
growing in interaction with other language users over a lifetime. If
grammar is wired in, then there isn't (can't be?) a large difference
between reading/writing and speaking beyond what it takes to represent
language in graphic form and learn the largely arbitrary graphic
conventions that arrive with that. If grammar evolves in social
interaction, then we might expect a far more complex (or lexically
dense) grammar to evolve within written registers, especially within
technical fields. I believe the latter is the case, which means we
have an obligation to understand those differences and help mentor our
students along the path toward competence in those registers. This is
difficult these days precisely because knowledge about language has
been undervalued for several decades.
    The great value (and occasional frustration) of ATEG is that
participants bring different perspectives to the table. These views
are certainly not shared by everyone in the group.

Craig

 Bill & Craig & Kathleen,