ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 10:33:38 +1000
Don, it seems to me that in your sentence: "I could hear him down in his
workshop, hammering away on his latest project", the sequence `hammering
away' is prevented from modifying the subject because it is itself part of
the object. I.e.: what "I" could hear is "him hammering away". There is no
participle phrase here. Rather, there is a noun phrase. (And, given that we
have a noun phrase, the relationship between pronoun and noun is genitive: I
could hear his ... hammering.)
Sophie