ATEG Archives

September 2000

From:
Herb Stahlke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:43:19 -0500
While can/could is modal, the modals historically had a tense
distinction, especially in their root senses.  As so often
happens, that tense distinction is preserved today only in
subordinate clauses, as in

He says that he can/will meet us for dinner.
He said that he could/would meet us for dinner.

This archaic tense contrast, non-functional as it is in main
clauses, is at the root of the problem in Joanna's sentence.
Normal sequence of tenses would require the (historically) past
form, could.  However, in ModE, that grammatical rule of sequence
of tenses can be overridden pragmatically by a present context,
which is what the "is" provides.

Herb Stahlke

<<< [log in to unmask]  9/19  7:45p >>>
Hi everyone,

I would agree with Joanna that "could" belongs there.  The "if"
demands the
subjunctive, and it seems to me that this should extend to the
"that" clause
that follows, given that neither condition is yet met.
I would like to know more, however, about how the "is" establishes
the
legitimacy of  "can."  Since we are talking about mood, not tense,
would not
tense sequence have no bearing here?

Len (finally out of the lurking shadows) Wyatt
Terry Fox Secondary School
Port Coquitlam
BC, Canada.