ATEG Archives

May 1999

From:
"Kathleen M. Ward" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 12:27:38 -0700
A colleague of mine, Mary Schleppegrell, has an article about the use of
"because" in classroom discourse; as I recall, the idea was that, in
certain contexts, "because" did not function as a suborndinator. I believe
the article appeared in _The Journal of Pragmatics_.

However, in the sentences below, both "if" and "because" look like
subordinators to me.

Kathleen Ward