ATEG Archives

January 2007

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 15:02:09 -0800
As in my post of a few minutes ago, I agree with Bill. Craig's
sentence "Global warming may not effect local temperatures" doesn't
make sense to me. Local temperature exists at all times. Global
warming may effect (cause) _changes_ in local temperatures, but if
you want to say that warming will cause some kind of change in
temperatures, you would say "Global warming may affect local
temperatures."

A subtle business. Small wonder people get confused.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374