ATEG Archives

September 2001

From:
Reinhold Schlieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:49:49 -0400
I've never seen the transliteration "Aal," so I would assume that the
"Al-" prefix is fairly standard in the Kingdom at least.  While my
students were always quite willing to alter the spelling
[transliteration] of their names if they thought I was not giving their
names the right pronunciation, the "Aal" never cropped up at all and the
"Al-" was usually connected with hyphen, though I have met a few Saudis
here in the US who preferred to write it as a separate word.  I did know
several people whose last name was fairly mundane: Toffaha (Apple), for
example.  And then there were many who named themselves first name
followed by father's first name followed by grandfather's first name
without any indication of clan or family. And I don't pretend at all to
have a handle on the "caste" system that also characterizes Saudi
society, although I had evidence that one Saudi friend was barred from
marrying a certain woman because she was in a clan that was not
accessible to him.

So, you may well be right: Not having studied the subject exhaustively,
I simply relied on my experiences.

==Best, Reinhold