ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:47:40 -0500
Craig,

In Old English, the genitive of the interrogative pronoun was "hwaes" for all genders.  That's the ancestor of modern "whose."  I think there is an analogical tendency to identify "whose" with "who" and "whom" on the basis of sound, and so people tend to think of "whose" as human, but historically, up into Modern English, "whose" has been gender-neutral.

Herb