ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 21:02:31 -0500
Nancy Bonvillain's _Language, Culture, and Communication_ (5th ed.) has good overview material on conversation
analysis, discourse analysis, pragmatics, and ethnography of communication -- all of which are relevant to this kind
of thing. It would make a good sourcebook for the teacher, although I think high-school students would find it
off-putting without a good bit of scaffolding. I may be underestimating highschoolers, though.

For a biology course, I think the ethnography of communication material would fit quite nicely with anything
on ethology they may have had -- keeping track of who "emits signals" at whom, where, and under what
conditions is the kind of thing that's relevant across domains.

--- Bill Spruiell