ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 07:57:45 -0700
These are frequently called "transitions" or "conjunctive adverbs".  I find it best to teach them along side subordinate and coordinate conjunctions because that is the full set of words the provide the function of linking one idea to the next.  Sentences are more tightly bound by conjunctions, but conjunctive adverbs have the same meaning effect.  They should not be taught to distantly from conjunctions because they will muddle students' thinking.

Phil Bralich