ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:17:17 -0500
"done been" is clearly non-standard and stigmatized.  But there is a place for the get-passive, and we use it regularly with some verbs:  get engaged, get married, get divorced, get killed, etc., where it's the change of state or condition that is important.  In many cases it does mark an informal register.

Herb