ATEG Archives

May 2013

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 04:50:20 +0000
Sergio,,

Thank you for a very thoughtful discussion of relative "that" and the cognitive and semiotic framework it functions within.  I admit to not having the background in semiotics that you obviously and manipulate with such insight and clarity.

I have argued previously on this list for the superiority of prototype analysis over discrete categories, and I have acknowledged the possibility that "that" is one of those words that doesn't fit any single category well, that it may have properties that characterize more than one category.  As I noted, this discussion has a long history on the list, and Craig has been very helpful in clarifying--or complicating--my own thinking on the matter.  This appears to be a case where strong syntactic arguments can be made for non-pronominal status but those arguments fly in the face of the perception of native speakers that relative "that" is pronominal.  I was trained back in the '60s when we took native speaker intuition very seriously, perhaps to excess, and my training makes me take seriously the opinion of thoughtful and well-trained native speakers like Craig.  This is also a case where my reliance on native speaker intuition and my use of syntactic analysis result in contradiction.
I'm no longer surprised at such contradiction.  Other linguists, including myself, have dealt with such contradictions in multiple languages as well as English.  Let me give a few examples from Yoruba, a Niger Congo language I've done a bit of work on.

First there is the categorial question of verbs and prepositions in Yoruba.  Yoruba verbs, with certain systematic exceptions consist phonologically of an initial consonant, a vowel, and a tone.  Given that Standard Yoruba has 18 consonants and 10 vowels (7 oral, three nasal), and 3 tones, the set of verbs in the lexicon is limited to 18*10*3=540.  There are certain systematic gaps:  nasal consonants cannot  be followed by oral vowels.  There are also arbitrary gaps as there are in any language--English, e.g., has no word "blick"--so that the actual total number of verbs in the Yoruba is about 334.  So how does the language manage with such a paucity of verbs? English, in contrast, has upwards of 3500, not including all those words that can be functionally shifted to verb.   Syntactically Yoruba makes extensive use of serial verb constructions.  Grammatical relations beyond subject and object are marked by verbs.  "fun" (give) marks indirect objects; "ba" (help) marks  benefactives; "fi" (take) marks instrumentals; "lO" (go) and "wa" (come) mark locatives.  There are more of these for other grammatical relations and other distinctions, for example "take" (<pick up> sthg "go") can use "mu" (pick up light object), "gbe" (pick up heavy object), or "ko" (pick up multiple objects, gather).  (Pardon me for not marking tone or the distinction between tongue root retracted and tongue root advanced mid vowels, but I find HTML doesn't always handle IPA well.  I'm using /O/ for [-ATR] [O] and /o/ for [+ATR) [o], likewise /E/ and /e/.)  Here's a typical serial verb sentence:

Ade ba me gbe iSu lO si Oja fun baba mi.
Ade help me pick up yams go to market give father my.
Ade on my behalf took yams to market for my father.

Five verbs, not all of which correspond to verbs in English.

There are also two words, "ni" (be stationary) and "si" (motion toward), that have very general, semantically bleached, grammaticalized meanings.  They are frequently called prepositions, but they behave in all ways like verbs, morphologically, phonologically, and syntactically, and they are related diachronically to the verbs "ni" (have) and "si" (exist, exclusively in negative clauses).  Now the question of category vs. prototype is whether these have changed sufficiently to be considered prepositions, implying a new category, or whether they are verbs of a restricted sort.  This question continues to be debated by Yorubaists in a debate that really is a question of whether categories exist or prototypes.  Another question this whole issue raises is whether all monosyllabic lexical words in Yoruba are verbs and what to do with certain problem cases.  But enough of that here.

Second, Yoruba extends its class of verbs by means of many verb+nominal contractions.  Most nouns in Yoruba have a vowel prefix, although there is also a class of consonant initial nouns that are a special morphological type.  When a verb and a noun come together, two vowels are in contact and generally one of them must elide.  If the vowel of the verb elides, the resulting word is semantically analytic, transparently the sum of its parts.  If the prefix vowel of the noun elides, the result is a compound, with unpredictable consequences for meaning.  Thus "gbe EsE" "lift foot" can contract to "gbEsE" "lift foot" or to "gbesE" "kick."  Where things get interesting analytically is when such a word is transitive and has a direct object pronoun.  Yoruba has three sets of pronouns, subject, object, and possessive.  To say "pick it up" Yoruba says "gbe e" where the 3s object pronoun is a lengthening of the vowel of the verb with a tone polarization.  To say "pick up his/her foot" Yoruba says  "gbEsE rE" which means that some one raised his/her own foot.  However "gbesE rE," the compound, means "kick him/her/it."  The possessive pronoun maintains its morphological relationship to the noun EsE, but its meaning is "direct object of "gbesE."  Meaning and structure do not coincide.  This is a frequent structure in the language as there are many such verb+noun compounds.

Third, Yoruba has a morphological category of "ideophone."  These are words that involve onomatopoeia, reduplication, and phonological contrasts like vowel length that are not otherwise found in the language.  Ideophones can be any grammatical category, noun, verb, or adjective/adverb, a category distinction that the language distinguishes functionally but not formally.  It is impossible to tell from the form of an ideophone what grammatical category it functions as.

That's probably the longest excursus on a language other than English this list has seen in some time, but I wanted to demonstrate from a formal analytic perspective that discrete categories are problematical beyond English, if there was ever any doubt about that.  It's a case where Craig and I reach pretty much the same linguistic stance from very different directions..  I acknowledge this. of course, with great curmudgeonly reluctance.

Still, there are one or two points that I'm not clear on in your presentation.  Throughout your presentation, you never argue that relative "that" is  pronoun.  You assume it.  I don't find that assumption satisfying.  Second, your entire analysis deals with the written language, not with spoken English, and the subordinator "that" differs consistently from pronominal "that" in that it is almost never stressed, except perhaps when we want to contrast it with another subordinator, as in "I mentioned THAT I went, not WHY I went."  It's true that we can have unstressed pronouns when they are topical, as in "Have you seen John?  Yes, I saw'm at the grocery store."  Subject pronouns are typically unstressed since subjects tend to be topical.  WH-pronouns are generally at least weakly stressed, not unstressed, and relative "that" is odd in that it is regularly unstressed  whatever the grammatical function of the relativized NP.

On another matter, the deletion of complementizer "that" is a complex and subtle matter that I'll have to review again.  I fear I'm pretty rusty on the literature on that, although back in '75-'76 when I was working on my Language paper "Which that," I was pretty well up on it.  I'm looking forward to rereading Bolinger's "That's that," a typically thoughtful and subtle piece of analysis.

If you're not familiar with Johan van Auwera's "Relative that--a Centennial Dispute" Journal of Linguistics 21 (1985) pp. 149-179, I recommend it as a very thorough critical review of the non-pronoun analysis and defense of the pronoun analysis.  Unfortunately, the paper predates Huddleston and Pullum, and I don't know how van Auwera would handle their additional arguments.

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University
Muncie, IN  47306