ATEG Archives

December 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:41:34 -0500
Craig, Bob, et al:

I have apparently mixed my metaphors, and poured oil on troubled fires.
The *intent* of my earlier post was to argue that whatever things are
amiss with our current approaches to teaching grammar, they don't derive
as much from "bad theory" as from a misinterpretation of a theory that
was never claimed by its originator to have educational utility. It was,
therefore, not intended to argue that Innatism is wrong (or right);
merely that blaming the movement away from teaching grammar on it seems
mistaken. I don't think that position should annoy any particular camp,
really. If there's a problem with modern teaching, it gets Innatism off
the hook, without even arguing that Emergentism ("Emergency" is just too
awkward) would be better.

This is, perhaps, a good sign that my decision many years ago not to
investigate working for a diplomatic corps was a good thing.

Sincerely,

Bill Spruiell