ATEG Archives

November 2015

From:
"Hoffman, Melvin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Nov 2015 10:15:14 -0500
Dear Colleagues:

last month, I sent a post regarding the phenomenon of elided relative adverbs
in adverbial relative clauses modifying nouns. However, Beth Young's recent
post indicates that the concept is still unknown or is considered unusual.
Therefore, I am repeating my examples in this post. Neither such an elision
nor such a modifying adverbial clause is uncommmon. Relative adverbs may undergo
"that"replacement and Ø replacement, or elision, much like relative pronouns.

the time 	 	when 	it happened
the time 	 	that 	it happened
the time 	 	Ø 	it happened

the place 		where	we met