ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 09:48:44 -0800
TJ,

Could you expand a bit? I'm having trouble seeing the significance of
your objection anent OE. The so-called future perfect isn't found in OE,
but that's because OE doesn't permit multiple auxiliaries, with the
exception of pre-modal + passive constructions.

Even so, I don't think Craig was suggesting that OE had the same range
of functions for the perfect that ModE does, so I don't get why the
absence of a future perfect in OE matters for the present discussion.

As to your examples, you can, of course, use the perfect to talk about
actions that haven't yet occurred. Your second example is a better
illustration of that.

The way I see the perfect working in ModE is that, in it's primary
function, it works as a secondary tense. That is, it's main job is to
signal that some even is prior to the main time of the discourse,
whatever that time may be, and irrespective of the grammatical tense of
the other verbs. In this function, the tense of the auxiliary is a
secondary consideration. The perfect auxiliary doesn't even have to have
a tense to do its job. Thus you not only have the perfect occurring with
various modal verbs (will, would, could, etc.) but also in non-finite
constructions, e.g., "I hope to have finished my paper by Tuesday."

The perfect also has aspectual overtones too, but that's a much more
complicated issue, and perhaps the subject of another message. Along
those lines, however, I will note that I find your first example
ungrammatical. For me, the perfective aspect of "has drunk" is
incompatible with the imperfective implication of "each morning." I
would use a simple present there.

Karl