ATEG Archives

March 2001

From:
Bruce Despain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:49:28 -0700
One last statement:

What it comes down to is whether the rules of grammar are prescriptive or descriptive.  Dr. Viet has come down on the side of the New York Times by citing the accepted rules.  What I was trying to do is find an analysis that would accept the facts of T.S. Elliots usage with the least amount of adjustment to the accepted rules.  The usage is often hear colloquially even after
prepositions:  "between my wife and I,"  etc.  Perhaps what we need to do is allow a special objective case of the first person pronoun, when it is compounded.  The French have been doing something similar for years (an objective case when in a subject that is compounded).  We have here a case of over-correction in an effort to avoid the objective case.

Bruce

Bruce