ATEG Archives

December 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 10:26:23 -0500
Johanna,
   I don't have time for a full response and I'll be away from the
computer (by design) for about ten days, but I like the way you wrestle
with enormously important issues. Here's a few quick observations.
    As a writing teacher, I know the first step toward success is to get
a student writing something that he/she believes and feels is important.
 When that happens, they are more than happy to get help with bringing
it into fruition, and in that process, they learn some things that can
carry over into other contexts.  It's not just acquisition of language,
but an understanding of how to put their own language "to work".
    Writing doesn't follow formulas, but it is inherently "formal."  It
has parts.  It is, in fact, a unity of parts when successful. Most
beginning writers abandon a text long before the thought process is
completed and  harmony is established. The nature of its form may differ
widely (news report, fiction story, poem, argument, job letter, and so
on), but recognition of the contribution of form is very important.
Journalists don't simply internalize the ability to write good leads
from being exposed to them. Beginning fiction writers seem to think that
stories have temporal beginnings and middles and ends and hardly seem to
notice on their own how often good writers break through that. What we
are told first is not what happened first.  Students, it seems, don't
just soak that up.
    One problem with grammar is that it is thought of as neutral
conveyor of meaning, tied into a correct/incorrect decision mechanism,
not into an effective/ineffective one. But if a text is an effective
unity of parts, this carries down, certainly, to the level of the
sentence.  Students come to hate grammar because it is where they always
fail, not where they find reward. Sentences can sing, and much can be
gained by looking closely at sentences that do.
    I think you're absolutely right.  Whole language advocates are right
to advocate exciting reading and meaningful writing.  They are wrong to
think that simple exposure is enough. We can do an awful lot better at
examining texts.  I wish students coming into college were free to
interact with texts beyond finding the "literary techniques" and "deep
hidden meanings."   They  have been told that they don't read
"correctly," and this makes reading painful as well. Reading is some
sort of empty game that they are not very good at. Someone else has
already decided what the great works are, and they are lesser people
when they don't like them or understand them.
     Someone should do a study of  what successful writers "know" about
grammar (conscious knowledge, not just "internalized")  and how that
enters into their writing and reading.  What you would find, I think, is
that some writers are fairly successful with little conscious knowledge,
but that everyone VALUES their conscious knowledge very much.  Because a
case can be made that rare human beings function very well, thank you,
without knowing what they are doing, we forget that those who DO know
what they are doing find that knowledge enormously helpful and useful.
   I did very well as a writer without the concept given/new, without
the notion of end focus or marked theme, but I am very grateful  for
these understandings.  I got A's in papers as an undergraduate, but I am
very grateful for the grad school teacher/mentor who showed me how a
page of my writing could be cut almost in half by "cutting through the
static", which is largely a matter of searching for lexical terms
carrying the bulk of the meaning. It is hugely useful to be able to
denominalize a clause. And so on.
     We need to work in harmony with whole language approaches, not
against them.  But those who object to those approaches as too touchy
feely, not technical enough or accountable enough, have valid objections.
    I'll be away from the list for a  week or so, so I wish everyone a
very safe and happy holiday season.  Maybe 2005 will be a great year for
grammarians and grammar.

Craig