ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2006 21:11:01 -0400
Dick,
   There are approaches to grammar that have a very direct carryover to
writing. The question, I guess, would not be the structures that they
have internalized, but the ways in which those structures participate
within discourse. >
   I don't want to disagree with your approaches to teaching grammar, but
think it's problematic to imply that there is little role for grammar
in a writing course (or writing in a grammar course.)
   To me, it's like saying that there's no connection between diet and
health. There is, but you have to ask the right questions. You have to
look for it. If grammar is seen from the start as disconnected from
discourse, you will never make the connections.

Craig
I make extensive use of tree diagrams in my college course in grammar.