ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:44:51 -0500
John,
    I am no doubt under the influence of my current reading as well. I'm
working my way through Talmy Givon's Syntax, where he says "the best
point of departure for functionalism is to be found in biology, the
mother-discipline that has been profoundly functionalist for over two
thousand years."
    A very apt analogy might be anatomy and physiology. No medical
researcher would look at anatomy without thinking of physiology, and
to fully understand physiology you need to examine anatomy in use. The
underlying assumption is that it is what it is because of what it
does. Use shapes form. The most important insights come from health,
not illness.
   From this view, we can't fully look at the forms of conversation
without thinking about purposes and intentions.

Craig

 Point well taken, Craig. Perhaps more general references to the