ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2007 05:06:57 -0700
Sorry, I just realized that these are W. Nelson
Francis's definitions ("The Three Meanings of
Grammar") that Hartwell builds upon in his essay.
CLM
--- Lorna <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

---------------------------------
body{font-family:
Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:9pt;background-color:
#ffffff;color: black;}
            I want tothank you all for the fascinating
discussion of Patrick Hartwell's glorifiedarticle,
which I read last spring in a graduate seminar on
teaching first-yearcollege composition. I had a hard
time, way back then, falling into thewhole-language,
anti-grammar line; I remember asking if the class
could atleast read "Closing the Books on Alchemy" for
clarification, arequest dismissed as suspiciously
right-wing. At that time, a number of the teaching
assistants and graduate studentsin this class,
including me, suffered from deep confusion about how
to teachgrammar.  We had been forced (dare I sayit?)
to endure blackboard-filling tree diagrams in
Linguistics and mind-numbingincoherence in translation
in Theory; yet as writng tutors and teaching
assistants,we were expected  to be able to
helpundergraduates avoid sentence fragments and
pronoun-antecedent disagreementwithout using
grammatical terms any more explicit
than"pointer-outers."

            Way backthen, I was a teaching assistant
in a first-year composition class in which
theconfoundingly popular professor failed any paper
with five or more "majorgrammar errors."
Outrageously, I thought and still think, this
professorrefused to cover any of those errors in class
and spoke of"grammarians" with contempt. No member of
the English faculty that I could find could offer any
realguidance (other than sending students to the
writing center) on how to teach orwork with students
on the tremendous grammatical problems the
teachingassistants were seeing in student papers: not
only Connors and Lunsford's big20, but also
organizational issues of syntax, ESL concerns, etc.,
etc., etc.

            I acceptedthe absurdity of the situation
and began to put my hands on every book orarticle I
could find, theoretical or practical, remotely
connected to theactual teaching of WEAP.  (Some of
mymost valued resources were written by members or
former members of ATEG.)  I teach developmental
English at a largecommunity college now, so I am
learning every day that some things can and mustbe
taught explicitly—what a surprise to find, for
example, that a first step infinding subjects and
verbs is crossing out prepositional phrases!  See such
a technique as representative ofsilly, stupid
mavenhood if you like, but my students must pass (some
unfair andineffective) writing and grammar tests in
order to get where they want to go.  I work very hard
every day to get and inventthe how-to grammar
knowledge and skills censored in graduate school, the
nutsand bolts of the teaching of it, the needed
know-how.  Hartwell's article should be
carefullyanalyzed and challenged, not sanctified as
untouchable.

 --Lorna Nelson

From: Castilleja, Janet