ATEG Archives

February 2004

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:13:51 -0500
Herb,
    That's an enormously helpful taxonomy.  It's hard for me, though, to
think of raw as simply depicting the fish and not in some way depicting
the eating (a kind of adverbial, adjectival mix.)
    If I asked "which fish did you eat," you wouldn't respond with "I
ate the fish raw." You would  say "I ate the raw fish."
    If I asked "How did you eat the fish," you wouldn't say "I ate the
raw fish." You might say "I ate the fish raw."
    I believe the sentence implies the notion of choice, that we could
eat the fish cooked or eat the fish raw, and the sentence tells us HOW
that fish was eaten, although, I admit, rawness is also an attribute of
the fish. It's a little like saying  "We chose for the fish to be raw
when we ate it" in a much less cumbersome way.
    It's very different from saying I rubbed my hands raw, which would
be causative.
    I like Bill's point that every verb brings with it its own kind of
transitivity, and that can be multiplied by the different meanings of
the verb. Sometimes we worry about forest and forget about the beauty of
the trees.
     How about "He ate me out of house and home" for a causative version?

Craig