ATEG Archives

November 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:02:25 -0500
Herb,
   By intonational marking, do you mean as signalled by punctuation?  It
seems to me that sentence modifiers show up somewhat parenthetically in
a number of slots.  (Somewhat flexible).  These might occasionally
require rephrasing to guard against ambiguity.>

I wouldn't make that claim, seriously.

I wouldn't vote, to be honest, for anything like that.

I wouldn't, to be honest, even consider voting for Bush.

I wouldn't even consider, as I'm sure you know, voting for that silly
proposal.

Perhaps there are overlapping systems for qualifying the nature
(intentionality) of statements, the assessed likelihood of something being
desirable or true, or the nature of the knowledge base or the perspective
("seems", "appears", "certainly", "might", "possibly", and so on), and
some of these functions shade very subtly into the verb phrase and out
again.

Certainly, she will be there.
She will certainly be there.
Possibly, she will be there.
She may be there.
She may possibly be there.

At any point, do we want to think of these as sentence modifiers?

Here there seems to me less need for intonation marking.

Craig

Paul,