ATEG Archives

April 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:27:51 -0400
Marshall,

My guess is that it would be the same thing.  These constructions have generally been treated as substituting the past participle form for the past tense, which has happened pretty often in English.  But that usually happens only in strong forms that don't end in -en, like fight/fought, not in strong forms that end in -en, like "seen" and "taken".  That's why I lean towards treating it as a "'ve"
weakened to nothing by lenition.

Herb