ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Sophie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:23:23 +1000
John, "The girls marched around the oval, dressed in pretty frocks" is
perfectly sound: The ambiguty you say it contains is simply not there: the
comma sees to that. It would be there if Paul's example sentence had been
written without a comma. (But it wasn't, so it isn't.)

The structural legitimacy of Paul's sentence is in this: "The girls marched
around the oval" is the leading, independent sentence to which the
foreshortened sentence "dressed in pretty frocks" (The girls were dressed in
pretty frocks) attaches with a comma. I.e.: the shared subjects of two
independent sentences enable their comma splicing.

Your sentence: "Digging in the garden, a brooch was found" does not have the
`two independent sentences/shared subjects' condition that enables a
splicing comma . Rather, its splicing comma attaches a present-particple
sequence (which foreshortened the sentence `X/Xs was/were digging in the
garden') that acts like an adjective. Doing that, it necessarily describes
the only available noun: `brooch'.

To avoid the untintended meaning this achieves, your sentence needs a
two-subject construction, one of which acts adverbially: `While the men were
digging in the garden a brooch was found'. (A comma can, but need not,
follow `garden'.)

Sophie Johnson
at ENGLISH  GRAMMAR TUTOR
http://www.englishgrammartutor.com/