ATEG Archives

May 2013

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2013 00:26:29 +0000
Herb,
    the following will probably seem overly esoteric to most on list, but I have been thinking of these issues since we last talked them out.
    I have been reading in American pragmatism, and this might be one of those arguments they would dismiss because it has no practical consequences. I don't think we disagree about how "that" acts in these different contexts. I think it's more a matter of where we draw the boundaries with our definitions. You want me to accept the fact that a complementizer (subordinator) can stand in as a subject substitute (placeholder?) in a relative clause, and I see that as something only a pronoun can do. But being a pronoun is a name I am giving it, and if we draw those lines differently, we can just agree to disagree. We are just making an argument about how to use a term, not a meaningful observation about how language acts.
    I also grow impatient with approaches to grammar that imply there are strict rules about how language can act. Grammar is sustained and created through use, and there are plenty of instances where language use is hard to characterize. This is one.
    To both of us, "that" is clearly a complementizer in content (noun) clauses.
    "I believed that she was telling the truth."
    Because of that, it can easily be followed by a demonstrative pronoun "that" functioning as subject.
    "I believe that that was true."
    If I say "My belief that that was true led me into mistakes," I would agree that the first "that" is complementizer, the second a demonstrative pronoun. I would also make the case, though, that this is actually a content clause acting as appositional modifier. It mimics content clause in its structure.
    A third case, though, is different. "The first song that moved me was a ballad." "That moved me" seems to me a relative clause here, not least of all because it can't be preceded by a "that". (The first song that that moved me was a ballad."*)  We also can't say "The first song moved me was a ballad" because relative clauses seem in all instances to require an explicit subject.
   We also have this version: "The first song, that moved me greatly, was a ballad." Or "The first song, which moved me greatly, was a ballad." Again, in these non-restrictive versions, we can't delete the "that" or the "which" and we can't add a "that."
   You can certainly make the case that "that" in relative clauses acts in very unique ways. Arguing about what category it MOST resembles seems to me worth the time, but not if we think it's necessary to draw lines in one single way.
   I would compare it to Huddleston's argument that subordinating conjunctions should be thought of as prepositions. At a certain point, the decision becomes arbitrary. Once you make it, it expands the range of application of the term but doesn't materially change the world it tries to describe. It's a distinction without practical consequences.

Craig