ATEG Archives

March 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 10:09:17 -0500
Bruce,
    Thanks for the background on it. My initial skepticism is built around
the idea that discourse context is likely to dictate (or at least
deeply influence) what we think of as most salient. If I'm buying
curtains, the color may matter deeply, but if I'm buying an engine (or
brake pads) I am not likely to think of it as relevant.
    "What kind of engine do you have in that car?" "A blue one."
   "How aerodynamic are those curtains?" "?"
   Perhaps there is a set preference, but I would think that it would
routinely be overridden in context.

Craig

Craig,