ATEG Archives

March 1998

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1998 17:24:21 -0500
At  2:59 PM 3/15/98 -0500, ABenja3491 wrote:
>re: It was one of those jobs that (take,takes)...
>
>I look at it this way: I'd say one of those jobs that takes  because it seems
>to me that the subject of take/takes is one. If take agrees with jobs, then we
>have the object of a preposition serving as the subject, and that does not
>seem right to me. It was is complete as a main clause, is it not?

You're using the wrong logic here.  The subject of the verb 'take' is the
pronoun 'that', a relative pronoun introducing a relative (adjectival)
clause.  Every noun phrase slot in the sentence can include an adjectival
clause as a modifier--object of preposition, direct object, subject
complement--you name it.  And the subject of that clause is going to be a
part of the clause itself--either the introductory relative pronoun or a
noun within the clause.

Martha Kolln