ATEG Archives

October 2005

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:30:02 -0400
Bill,
   I have been well trained in process approaches, and, in fact, got drawn
into composition as an interest by the work of Murray (my teacher),
Elbow, Macrorie, Graves and the like.  It certainly was liberating to
think of writing as meaning-making and not simply an exercise in formal
compliance.
    I think the core insights of process approaches aren't in question.
Writing is discovery and writing is revision, and more experienced
writers tend to see it that way, in contrast to poorly trained writers
who simply look to correct their errors.  (See for example the fine
research of Nancy Sommers.  But all the studies seemed to show that
successful writers approach writing as a meaning-making, evolving
task.)>
   I think it's wrong, though, to simply make the observation that SOME
people become successful writers without direct grammar instruction.
The same is true, I suppose, of successful teachers or successful
baseball players. It's not a given that everyone can or will accomplish
that goal.  As a matter of fact, it is becoming increasingly apparent,
to anyone not stuck defending an old ideology, that ignoring grammar,
as an experiment, has been a colossal failure. The level of
understanding of grammar )and therefor, of language, since grammar is
at the heart of it) is terribly low, even for English teachers.
    I think whole language advocates seem more in the literature camp than
in the composition camp.  Most writing teachers I talk to are very
uncomfortable with the status quo.  We often feel someone is looking
over our shoulders and expects us to clean up the error in our student
writing, but we are supposed to do so without the benefit of any kind
of curriculum or shared understanding.  Somehow, minimalist practices
are supposed to work, but the vast majority of students who come to
college, even a fairly prestigious one such as my own, do not know
sentence boundaries, and most teachers I have talked to will say
something like "I've given up on the comma; I'm just trying to work on
fragments and run-on sentences." It's a story of compromises, often of
looking the other way in the hopes that better practices will "rub
off" through exposure.
   There are two quick ways to respond, both of them, I think helpful.
1)  If we really are expected to reduce error (or get students to
punctuate according to the handbooks), we need to have a much wider base
of understanding.  I fond 65 technical terms in Hacker's punctuation
section in her handbook.  You can't even read the rules without knowing
what  "clause" or "phrase" or "compound sentence" or "movable adjective"
means.  Constance Weaver tries to reduce the terminology needs to a few
terms, but this seems nonsensical to me, a matter of avoiding the tough
questions about the consequences of minimalism.  We can't seem to reject
these goals and we can't seem to commit to what it would take to
accomplish them.  Our students suffer.  Part of what we could do, and do
very easily, is come up with what students should know in order to follow
conventional punctuation practices. I say punctuation, since so much else
about Standard englsih is somewhat questionable. and brings up other more
political issues about the right to our own language and so on.
2)  This approach is much nearer my heart.  It means simply admitting that
good writers manipulate their sentences all the time, that true revision
often happens at the sentence level.  What's needed is a contextualized
view of this kind of decision making, starting with the notion that a
sentence is not a complete thought, but a move in a series of related
moves.  In other words, extending the insights of process theory down to
the level of the sentence and not simply assume that these decision are
merely in conformity to some sort of rule book (especially when the rule
books aren't in harmony with actual practice in so many ways.  See Edgar
Schuster's book or Pinker's chapter on Language Mavens). We need a view
ofd the sentence (and sentence level revision) that's influenced by the
practices of successful writers.
    A good deal of functional or rhetorical grammar is already in place.
When people think "grammar", they may very well be unaware of these
options.
   I believe we have a better chance to be successful with composition
teachers than with literature teachers, if only because writing
teachers must face the consequences of not teaching grammar every
working day of their lives.
   In addition to my part in a New Public Grammar panel, I am going to be
part of a special interest (language)group at next March's 4 C's
conference.  Our group topic will be "What teachers and students need
to know about language." My opening move for my own talk, I think, will
be to take the "need to" out of it and ask "what will it benefit
teachers and students to know about language." We somehow get hung up
on the notion that rare human beings do fine without conscious
instruction. I'm not convinced that even they would be at all "harmed"
by looking at the real language we share as humans, by bringing its
complex wonders to conscious light. Focusing on "need to" has
unnecessarily prejudiced the discussion.

Tim,