ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2011 20:01:33 -0800
Craig,

But cf, "fond," which is unambiguously an adjective:

I am fond of chocolate.
*I am fond.

In other words, that's only evidence that "supposed" has a mandatory
complement. That test is not dispositive for deciding whether the word
is verbal or adjectival. I don't dispute, though, that "to" is closely
related. Witness the reduction that Herb notes.

BTW, looking up "supposed" in Huddleston and Pullum, I find they call it
a participial adjective too, although without any argument.

Karl