ATEG Archives

February 2011

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2011 15:31:05 -0800
I definitely follow the semicolon part, but for me, the presence or
absence of a comma after the adverb depends not on a syllable count but
on whether or not the word marks a distinct contrast or break in
thought. Thus for me, "however" and "still" (= nevertheless) get commas,
but a word like "therefore" does not.

Note that there's some variation comma use in such contexts. People who
favor a more closed punctuation style would probably use a comma after
"therefore."

On your example with "then," it's still an adverb. In this case,
however, you have not two independent clauses but a compound predicate
(joined without "and," i.e., it's asyndeton), so the absence of a
semicolon, or even a comma, is appropriate.