ATEG Archives

March 2011

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 14:41:50 -0500
Bruce,
     I would agree that "coming to see Spot in an activity" is a good
way to explain it.
    In "I see that spot ran," Halliday would say that it has shifted
from act to fact, and "see" is now more cognition than perception.
(Compare: "I see that the stock market is up again today." )
    Compare "I saw the man standing over there," as an answer to "which
man did you see," with
                     "I saw the man standing over there" as an answer to
"What did you see the man doing?"
         I think the first is adjectival (narrowing the category down),
the second just a subject bearing clause.  Discourse context will have
some bearing on it.

Craig